FS: Hegira FS: Hegira

Long time no New Grounds! ^^ Still love the work & you sound better than ever!! & I have a story about your music again because your composing is just that good.

The beginning sounds like waking up & being confused, & the 8-bit sound makes me think electrical. Sounds like a mech waking up in the depths of a deep-woods & it just processes its functionality and surroundings for a bit (has water damage & some abilities are short-circuited). It then starts the long journey of having to fight its way through the vicious inhabitants of the woods to escape, and heading off to a scientific-looking research facility on a cliff where it will presumably be returning home.
Once the facility is reached, the mech reaches the center, where there are scientists waiting. The mech opens up & a person is dropped out. The person then sprints out of the room, followed by other drones, & down the corridor towards light. There's a window, an escape route, but a mech steps out of a side door next to the window & blocks it. 2:59ish is when the person crashes through the glass of the building & plummets down the side of the cliff and into the sea with the mech.

FairSquare responds:

Thank you! Nice review and story :)

FS: Uniqa FS: Uniqa

i like it

this gives me an aquatic but technological impression. i kinda imagine a blue/aqua seal type creature mixed with human just sort of exploring the ocean. there's more like, mechanical creatures with the natural creatures in the ocean too. even the ocean floor has machinery showing through in some areas. i can imagine the seal creature coming across a crevice full of machinery & mechanical things all creating & leaking pollution into the ocean. near the end, like, where the drums cut out at somewhere near 3:10, i imagine that's where the creature would find the heart of this random machinery. from beginning to end, everything slowly gets more mechanical, & at the end the creature is just overwhelmed by it.
i haven't written you a story kinda description in a review in forever, so i guess it's about time i did. :P i really like this one, i liked the echoy sound in the background, whatever that effecty musicalness was. that really is the root of the aquatic feel. also adds to the technological feel too. the strings were also very nice. i think it's well worth your work, good job! :)

FairSquare responds:

I never thought of this as an 'aqua' type of song, but now you mention it.. i kinda agree with you :p
I always like it when you describe what you imagine when you hear my music. It gives a new dimension to the song :)
Anyway, thanks for your review! :D

FS: Chasing Bananas FS: Chasing Bananas

a fun tune

reminds me of video games yet again. faintly of Kirby actually. :P i liked it a lot, especially the bouncy feel to the music. :)
& that was a saxophone?? i thought it was just synth or a super tweaked violin. ._. i guess it's because i play sax so i know what it sounds like quite well. it just doesn't sound reedy like a real one does, is my best way to put it. i guess the tone quality best matches a soprano sax but could be alto as well, depending. (just got to hear a soprano this week! my friend next to me gets to play it & it's pretty cool! :D)
anyways, ignoring my rant about saxophones & that silliness, i liked it a lot is my point! :)

FairSquare responds:

Yeah, since i am restricted to using computer generated sounds and i am not a master in crafting sounds the sound of the sax isn't really realistic :p
Anyway, i'm glad you liked it and i hope you will continue to enjoy playing your sax :)

FS: ReBirth FS: ReBirth

more video games! :o

this time it sounds like that level or room right before you get to that big badass boss at the end of the game or that section of the game. you know what i mean? like, if it goes in worlds, it'd be at the end of that world but right before you actually reach the boss. :P pretty nice & fast paced, like you just need to get to that dang boss before you die again. makes me think that way anyhow. i must just be in that sort of mood today. :B the very end doesn't seem too abrupt for me, but maybe it's because of the way i'm thinking about it. it just sounds like reaching the end of the level & the character bursts through the door with a lot of nasty stuff chasing it. maybe even a wall of fire behind all of the enemies that are also trying to kill the character. the style just makes me think it's a very final fight as well. dunno why tho, so i can't really point out what's doing that to me for you. i think the snare fit into the song actually. partly the style (again) and the 16th note background synthish item (again i don't know the name for it). maybe i just have less impeccable taste in music but i thought this was fine the way it is. :P good job! :D

FairSquare responds:

Wow, i never responded to this before?
Sorry for that :p
And thanks for the review :)

FS: Playing Around FS: Playing Around

sounds like it belongs to a game

just that base & really electronic synthish sound. not really sure what one calls all of that stuff (other than the percussion stuff). sounds like a demo piece for various parts of a game, maybe just a general quicky for getting the feel of how a game should sound. pretty cool. i think lots of it would take place in space/ in the clouds. pretty good. :)

They are called synths :p
Anyway, thanks for the review! :D

FS: Endless Fun FS: Endless Fun

sounds like spies

this sounds like it should have a silly spy animation loop to go with it. like, they're sneaking around through this huge hall or something & at the end they break through a door which restarts the loop. that's what it sounds like to me. not bad. ^U^

Ha, nice idea there :)
And thanks!

MH16: Lonely Plains MH16: Lonely Plains

i like it & it is lonely

the accents in the piano, i felt, didn't really go with the song quite as well. i think that they should have been softer. the reedy instrument was really good. the trumpets could have softer attacks as well, only a little though. the beginning was perfect for me. i think that at 1:25ish there could have been a real faint background to it. Supersteph54 had a good idea with the flute, but i would just make it a quite background thing to add a little more color to the thing. just too much in this song would over do the feel simplicity to it, which is a very big part of the song. also like what Supersteph54 said, a smidge more ring to the cymbal would do nicely for the song.
i get a missionaries singing & walking through the plain idea. i'm positive that they have maroon robes. don't know why though. i feel like this song starts early in the morning with mist on the ground, the first crescendo from the drums is the first light & the rest is the morning dawning & the plains waking up. very beautiful. i hope you're proud of this 'cause it's real good! :]

FairSquare responds:

The reedy instrument is a bassoon :)
And yeah, the flute was a good idea, but i also agree that i shouldn't add too much to it. I like to keep my songs easy to listen to :)
And as always, i like the picture you created in your head.
Thanks for the review!

MH16: It's Time MH16: It's Time

i do believe it is time

the 1st part i picture swarms of great white creatures who vaguely resemble griffins in that they have the 4 powerful limbs plus great feathered bird wings but they have long reptilian tails. they are all rising to the sky, swooping & streaming over the mountains & the plains, over the forests & the rivers & into the clouds. they arrive at a dark spire (1:03) where 1, larger that the rest lands on the top. the sky is an ugly dark black color & the atmosphere is heavy. the others start to circle rapidly & a screaming vortex around the spire in a spiral shape, peeling the horrid evil from within the bricks. their pure energy of good restores the tower to a glowing white, lead by the Great One atop the tower. the tower gains an aura of black while it shakes & rumbles, then, a stream of evil shoots out into the dark sky, taking the aura with it, where lighting flares & thunder calls. the Great One roars & launches it's self after the evil, into the belly of the beast. the clouds seem punctured where he went in & white tendrils slowly creep outwards but they can't win, just hold the evil at bay. so when you see the storm, evil is winning that day but a clear sky will always come calling later, the work of good forces. this is the story i hear told by your music. extremely awesome music. :D kudos!!!

Haha, another awesome story. You have a good imagination :p
Thanks for the review, i don't really know what else to say. I appreciate it!

MH16: MSC1 -A Lost Friend- MH16: MSC1 -A Lost Friend-

a lost friend indeed

i feel the first part with the oboe(?) & other woodwinds is memories of the lost friend but then it gets a little more dramatic, the long search for the friend. the many hardships he endured to find his friend. a sad & majestic figure travels the lands & seems to be stopped by nothing. near the end a mighty war has ruptured the land & our dear friend has joined the side opposing the dark forces. he fights valiantly but the small & hardy band of warriors are greatly out numbered & are over come. as he lays on the ground bloody, defeated, & half dead he sees his long lost friend, the dark warlord who threatens to crush the land in his grasp and any who oppose him, including a friend from long ago who never lost faith in him. that is the story your music tells me. depressing but very good. :] yet again a wonderful piece of music. i really liked the timpani in this plus the oboes. very well done & amazing! :D

FairSquare responds:

Thanks. That's all i can say now. This review is pretty amazing :-)
And yes, it's a bit depressing, but that can be beautiful too. Thanks again for the wonderful review!

MH16: Simple And Fun MH16: Simple And Fun

alright

it was fun & simple but you shouldn't have faded the xylophone because the song was then missing something as it progressed. you could even have added a riff or 2 to the xylophone's part. not too bad & still enjoyable just not enough to the song without the xylophone there. |:[

FairSquare responds:

Hmm, yeah, i should've done more with the xylohone..
Thanks for the review ^^